This is what's up...

My photo
This is what's up... I am starting a new adventure, a journey even, of self discovery... Purpose: I am going to spend the next 365 days w/out buying clothes-for myself. Strange? Maybe. Maybe not. We will see what sort of things happen...

5.22.2010

Little Women: Louisa M. Alcott

I have just finished reading this book-this morning! And as noted earlier this is me blogging about the books that I have read and will recommend to you all!

First, I believe this is the first time I have read any of Louisa's writings, and it wont be the last- I LOVE her writing style. In this book she dialogues with the reader as she is telling a story and again, I love that!

I started out slow with this book, it is a little different than the other juvenile books I have been reading, and so an adjustment-to a more adult-ish book. Haha :) However, I was never disinterested, in fact I was so interested that I often found myself reading, myself in the story. You know asking questions like which character do I relate to most with this or that? And I will tell you that I defiantly identified with one the characters much more often than the others. And you can too ladies, maybe, if you have read, need to re-read or read this book too!

Another aspect of this story that I really liked and appreciated was the 'little life lessons' that the girls and eventually women were taught, learned and applied to their lives. And how different each of those lessons or virtues if you will looked and were lived out by each character. Louisa caused me to think about my own and such a challenge she gives to the reader! Also all throughout these characters give thanks and praise to their ultimate provider it is humbling and wonderful reminder.

To the Men folk- this book is not just for ladies. Yes it does talk about four girls who are growing into women. But I believe that their is much to enjoy and to be challenged to you as well as the ladies. I recommend this book to you as well, it is a great piece of literature no doubt. But just think you may be fathers and uncles to the little women in your life and how great it would be to tell that you have not only read it, but ENJOYED it, as I know you will! A great conversational and bonding piece of time and literary goodness.


So, you have heard much more than my 2 cents on this book. I hope you take my review, like it and respond by reading Little Women for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. well, I am happy to hear that you finally read this! I LOVE Little Women. I have all the other books in the series too! Jo's Boys follows (obviously) Jo and the professor. Rose in Bloom is good, and I really liked Little Men. Glad to hear a review about an awesome book, Cori! Love

    ReplyDelete