This is what's up...

My photo
This is what's up... I am starting a new adventure, a journey even, of self discovery... Purpose: I am going to spend the next 365 days w/out buying clothes-for myself. Strange? Maybe. Maybe not. We will see what sort of things happen...

5.22.2009

One Year

May has marked one year out of college and in the "real world." I am not really sure what the 'real world' is yet.  What I do know is that the said 'real world' can be like college in many ways- but different do to the settings. 
However, rather than looking at the times as college vs. real world, I'd rather like to look at the times as simply being where I am, and always aware of changes and transition. Or like Dr. Hartley always said, "learning what it means to live in the time in between." Which is ALL the time, we are always between events, activities, relationships, etc in our lives. 

Last May was quite emotional, I was leaving behind the constant and consistent: academic learning environment, friends, a home, a lifestyle. Not to say that I wasn't expecting or knowingly coming home, here, Edwardsville to a constant and consistent loving and nurturing home and lifestyle, learning environment, etc. But again it was going to be different. And it proved to be. 

In the last year, I have gone from being jobless, to a temp Admissions Counselor, to a shoe sales associate and a babysitter and a job hunter.  
I have gone from constantly being physically around my friends from college to being intent with phone calls and visits when possible, to being with family- a lot, to beginning new things, and as always but more intently looking inward- personal, spiritual. 

I think that I have learned some things about myself. That had 'I' quickly gotten a youth ministry position right out of college, I am not so sure I would have learned (at least not at this time perhaps).
 And that is, I like to be where I am. I like to enjoy where I am and what I am doing. I like to take my time. This is not to say that I won't or can't be quick with things like decisions, actions- or being spontaneous. But I would rather take things as they come and with some things I need to sit with them before I know what I am going to do or want to do about ____. And I am more than ok with this realization. Maybe a good thing, maybe a not so much, but as for where I am now, it is good. 
So, for all of this, I am over selling shoes, but I am truly happy with where I am, now, with who I am, now, and I am excited for whatever lies ahead- only God knows. 

So, there has been a lot that has been going on, and for all of it I am thankful that I have been apart of it all. Without the past year I would not be as ready as I am to go, to do whatever it is that God desires for my life-where ever that may be. I would not be the person I am today had it not been for God knowing me better than I know myself. Knowing needs from wants and desires. Every day is a new day and I hope that I am living the example of Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment