This is what's up...

My photo
This is what's up... I am starting a new adventure, a journey even, of self discovery... Purpose: I am going to spend the next 365 days w/out buying clothes-for myself. Strange? Maybe. Maybe not. We will see what sort of things happen...

3.14.2011

I am selfish

Moving out on my own has caused me to really have to face a few facts. For instance when I am home, come home or leave home there is NO ONE here. I am by myself. This is new for me. All my life I have lived with family or friends, so yes, new AND weird. There are days when it is great to be alone. But there are more days when it's not.
Does this make me selfish? Not really. Does it make me more self-centered, most likely. I have become a bit more concerned about me. And I don't like it, and I don't like that part of me.

After what has happened in Japan with the earthquakes and the Tsunami I have recognized that I am 100% selfish and self centered. I was watching CNN the night that the earthquake hit. I went to bed with Japan having a tsunami warning, and woke up to find complete devastation and chaos. I prayed for Japan that night before bed. But then woke up the next morning with thoughts about me and my life and what my day looked like and what I was going to buy for my new apt. All the while in parts of Japan people were and continue to be missing, lives have stopped, where clean water and food and clothes will come from- survival, becomes the main mood and mode of being. I'm selfish.

Yes, I will pray for the people, I will pray for the country, I will pray for those who have gone to physically and emotionally be their with the hurting, and the lost. But I want more, I want to do more I want to give of what I have been so greatly blessed with. And when I feel lonely in my apt of many things I want to not be so self centered...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty! Living on your own stirs a lot of new emotions.
    You should read my friend Christian's blog (on my sidebar). She posted a powerful prayer for the women of Japan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I get that way too, and it makes me sad. I will be praying for Japan, and for you, sister.

    ReplyDelete