This is what's up...

My photo
This is what's up... I am starting a new adventure, a journey even, of self discovery... Purpose: I am going to spend the next 365 days w/out buying clothes-for myself. Strange? Maybe. Maybe not. We will see what sort of things happen...

5.28.2011

This is what happens when you lock yourself out of your APT with no spare key in sight...

Last night my BFF Lauren and I were headed out of my apt to get some dinner and do some shopping for our BFF Erin's bridal shower, when after walking about 5 steps I realized that I had only grabbed my car keys and no apt keys.... Shock at my absent mindedness and immediate, Oh Crap moment lasted only seconds as I frantically searched my purse... before... I started to try and break into my apt.

Breaking in is not as easy as they make it look on TV. I tried and successfully took the screen off my window just to stare at the glass and go hmm what to do now? Then I tried a bobby pin. People I was desperate, but to no avail the bobby pin also did not work. So I had to muster up some courage and walk 10 steps across the hall to call on Josie for help.
The First question Josie and her lovely daughter asked was, did you call the land lord? To which I replied, no, their number is in my phone, which I had also left in the apt. So praise Jesus Lauren was here, she let me use her phone!
So after we found the landlords number I called, but no answer... Are you serious Landlords, how do you expect to have an apt complex and only be on call 9-5, wait scratch that you aren't even available then either! Uhhhh. By this time I am suppppppper annoyed at myself and frustrated for doing something so dumb.
You may also be wondering why I don't have a spare key. Well funny story, I was only given one. And I never made a copy because I was worried about getting in trouble or something from the landlords. Well poo poo on that, I made a copy last night and I plan on making more. Thank you for your complete non-helpful ways LL (landlords)!

So then begins my frantic phone calls to find some locksmith that was on call, also let it be known... not that many in the metro east area... In the midst of this I call on my uncle David, who can fix and do just about anything! I told him that I locked myself out of my apt the locksmith is on his way but if he can do it before he gets here, he would save me $80. Yes, that's right folks you read that correctly, 80 DOLLARS! What in the WORLD!
Here are some helpful hints:
1. Never lock yourself out of your apt/house/car/boat/anything.
2. ALWAYS get copies made of your keys and give at 3 of them to people you trust
3. Never lock yourself out of said places on 1. A weekend. 2. A holiday weekend. 3. During they're "off" hours.
Because you will have to pay an arm and a leg!

All this to be said, uncle David did not get the door open either, so I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be paying 80 flippin dollars for this dumb door and situation.
When the locksmith arrives he tries 3 of the things that we had already tried. It's probably best that they didn't work for him either because I would have been.... soo mad.
But he tried is little tool kit and what we had been working for about an hour he did in less than 3 min. How embarrassing!

But here are some good things that surely came out of the situation:
1. I got back into my apt and retrieved me keys and phone.
2. Paid locksmith guy and in return he let me know that if I have renters insurance (which I do, because it makes my car car insurance cheaper) they will fully reimburse me my $80. Yesss
3. If you have a locksmith make copies of keys for you they only cost $2, yep the cheapest key maker around!
4. If your locksmith can't make the 2 copies that you requested but only 1 for whatever the reason being, he will give you the key for FREE! Score.

So, even though Lauren and I had a very late start to our night, the whole rest of the night went really well! And this will be a time that we wont forget for a long time! hahah. And all the old ladies were so sweet to rally up and try and help!

1 comment: