This is what's up...

My photo
This is what's up... I am starting a new adventure, a journey even, of self discovery... Purpose: I am going to spend the next 365 days w/out buying clothes-for myself. Strange? Maybe. Maybe not. We will see what sort of things happen...

4.11.2011

Have you ever fasted?

I need a little outlet, and since pretty much no one reads this, next to my prayer journal, I am out letting some things.

Fasting as a spiritual discipline. I have fasted in the past when I was making a big decision, I wanted to be clear of mind, clear of distractions and fully content in my actions and decision to be made. Or to show God, and prove maybe to myself that I am serious about what is before me.

Fasting is hard, and hard enough when in all of our general (mid-west, especially) society are known for gathering together around food/meals. It's made even worse, when you are fasting and people are aware of it and they treat you like a leper. I understand wanting to not make the experience harder than it already it is, but not treating and acting normal around that person does not help things either. It makes the fact that you are not eating something to not be mentioned or talked about or feel that people are sorry for you. That is not the reason behind fasting.
That is the exact reason I believe that God tells us to not tell anyone. In scripture he says in Matthew 6:16-18 "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your  Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." So very true. And I have found out that, hey I should maybe have heeded said words.

So for now, do not shun, and not invite someone somewhere, or act out of the norm with anyone who is fasting. In the long run that is more hurtful for them then your thoughts of protecting them by not including them.
It is better yet to engage them, include them, and keep them to some extent, occupied. Fasting is a lonely process, especially when doing it alone. Be normal and the fast and the fasting person will be normal. Like the scripture says it should be done in secret. However if the secret is out, I think/wonder if then it does not also become the responsibility of those who now know to be an accountability to the faster(s)?

No comments:

Post a Comment